Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Follow You

Last night, my sister posted this song on Facebook and it reminded me of how much I loved this song when I first heard it at church...

You live among the least of these: the weary and the weak. | And it would be a tragedy for me to turn away. | All my needs You have supplied, when I was dead You gave me life. | How could I not give it away so freely?
And I'll... | I'll follow You into the homes of the broken, I'll follow You into the world. | I'll meet the needs for the poor and the needy, God, I'll follow You into the world.
Use my hands, use my feet, to make Your kingdom come. | To the corners of the earth until Your work is done. | 'Cause faith without works is dead, and on the cross, Your blood was shed. | So how could we not give it away so freely?
And I give all myself, I give all myself. | And I give all myself to You.
How could I not give it away so freely?
Yes, really... how could I not? This is something that hubby and I sooooo want our children to live out... a faith that is alive, a faith that loves the least of these, a faith that follows Jesus!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. Our family spent the morning on a Sandwich Run, distributing lunches to homeless folks in the downtown core, with my sister and her family... just as Ann Voskamp writes in her book One Thousand Gifts, "God calls us to do thanks. To give the thanks away. That thanks-giving might literally become thanks-living. That our lives become the very blessings we have received."
The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ ~ Matthew 25:40, TNIV.
The girls are hard at work packing lunch bags!

Sandwich, juice box, apple, granola bars, chips!

The boys are working hard too!

My sister and her little boy approach the first homeless man we saw.

Hubby and my boy head up the steps to talk to the young man up there.

Hubby and my boy leave a lunch for the sleeping man on the park bench.

It was truly a great way to spend our Thanksgiving morning! Thanks-living --- and becoming the joy --- to the least of these.

My girl has written a profound and thought-provoking blog post about our experience... I couldn't have written a more beautiful post myself... please hop on over to her blog and have a read! This mama's heart is bursting with joy and thanksgiving for a daughter who is mature beyond her 15 years. God's grace is amazing!

Have a great start to this shortened week, friends!
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good... His love endures forever! Let's follow Him into the homes of the broken, follow Him into the world... let's meet the needs for the poor and the needy... let's follow Him into the world!


This month of October, I am participating in a blog link up called 31 Day Series. I will be writing about Celebrating JOY! Click on the banner below for 1000+ other topics! 


Compassion is a command, an act of worship, a song of thanks to Him.
Do justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. I read this twice today and tried to comment once and it would not go! YOU inspire me... I keep saying that. Do you feel I copy you? heehe We live in a rural area and I keep looking for ways we can be the JOY... be the blessing. I would love to go to the big city and do what you guys did! We are suppose to work an event later this month in Atlanta. I am *thinking* we may try to do something like this... it would be a new thing for us.

    Keep blogging. You encourage me... and so many! YOU are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teena! It *is* hard to reach out to "the least of these" in a rural/suburban setting. We are in the suburbs of Toronto and it's harder to find opportunities here too.

      Toronto isn't a far drive though & we often serve down there with our church family... involving ourselves with different organizations doing great work reaching the needy.

      Thanks for the encouragement, Teena! You are a blessing... so glad to have "met" you here in cyberspace. :-)

      Delete