Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowy Hump Day

So... a HUGE snow storm was supposedly going to come through our area today with an accumulation of 30cm of snow by the time it's done.  Well... as a friend of mine put it on Facebook today, it was sNOw-big-deal!  It is over now and we probably have only about 15cm of snow on the ground.

Because of the big media hype leading up to this snow "storm", my kids were convinced that school will be closed today --- a snow day!  They woke up to some disappointing news... our school board kept schools open!  So, off they went to school... reluctantly!

When they came home for lunch, I learned that my daughter's class was pretty sparsely populated.  As a result, her teacher didn't want to teach new lessons or give a test only to do it again tomorrow... so they watched a movie instead.  My son's teacher didn't make it to school so he had a supply teacher.  Well, that sealed my decision... they were staying home from school for the afternoon!  Playing hooky from school with my permission!  :-)  Somehow, I can't remember my mom ever letting us do that?!?

So, this turned out to be a pretty relaxing day for our family...  

Hubby worked from home all day! :-)  Both my daughter's basketball practice and game were canceled.  So was band practice for the school board wide Honour Band that she's been chosen to be a part of.  Hubby and the kids shoveled our driveway and we made hot chocolate after-wards.  They also helped shovel a neighbour's driveway.  I tried a new recipe for pork ribs and it was very yummy!

Speaking of helping our neighbour shovel snow... after they were done, she offered to pay the kids.  Hubby thanked her but declined the money.  He explained to her that it is our way of teaching our children how to be generous with their time and how to be kind to others... you know, thanks-living!  I love it when God gives us such opportunities... it warms my heart, especially on a frigidly cold day like today!    

I wish everyday can be as carefree as today was...

Well, life revs back up tomorrow.  Tonight I am asking myself these questions: Are there things we do as part of our family's everyday life that just amount to clutter?  Which things have eternal purpose and which ones don't?  Which things allow us to live out Micah 6:8 and which ones don't?  Which things amount to thanks-living and which ones don't?  Maybe it's time to do an inventory again...

As I think about answering my own questions, I am also thinking that I loved today.  It was an awesome, snowy, relaxing hump (Wednes)day and... I am truly grateful for this gift!
  
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment