Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year, A New Decade!

Happy New Year!!! Wow... a new decade is upon us! Somehow, I still can't believe that we are now in the year 2010... seems so surreal to me. 

The arrival of a new year usually calls for resolutions... our family does them in the form of our birthday present(s) to Jesus on Christmas morning. Mine this year went something like this: I will strive to do my devotions and read my Bible each and every morning without fail in 2010.

Well, guess what? Just one day into the New Year and I have changed my mind! Don't get me wrong... I am still going to stick with my "resolution" but something else has stirred in me and I am adding something more to my birthday present for Jesus. You see, during the days between Christmas and New Year, I had the opportunity to read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. What can I say but "wow!" --- this book is a must read.

I am struggling to find the words with which to properly summarize this book. As a matter of fact, I don't think I can do it with just this mere blog post but I will try...

This book talks about God, the God of the universe, loving us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love and contrasting it with the average human response --- go to church, read the Bible, sing praise and worship songs, not committing "big" sins! How lame of a response is that! This book has challenged me --- if I am truly overwhelmed by how relentlessly God loves me, then my response should be to love Him back with a crazy, out-of-this-world kind of love!

So, in a nutshell --- that's the addition to my birthday present for Jesus. I want to live a life that is characterized by a crazy-kind-of-love for Jesus... and my prayer is that God will be gracious and allow me to have that in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment