Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Beggar. Really?

After my last blog post, a friend and I struck up an email conversation on the topic of looking out for God's promptings in our everyday lives; looking out for opportunities to be Jesus' hands and feet. My friend shared with me some verses that she read in her devotions that day. It is from Luke 6:30-31 (NIV) and it says:
Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the verse... that day, in the back of my mind, I was thinking of it in the context of a beggar asking me for money or food. I quickly formed a conclusion that I wouldn't have to "walk the talk" regarding this particular verse anytime soon because there are no beggars in this suburban community in which we live and I'm not heading downtown anytime soon.

That was Friday. Then Saturday came. God was about to prove my theory wrong!

Saturday is the day we go buy groceries. We went to our local Costco store. When we were loading our cart full of groceries into the back of our van, a man approached hubby. The words that came out of the man's mouth literally made my jaw drop.

He said: "Sir, you got any spare change?"

Trying hard to connect what I just heard with the unbelief that was going through my brain, I quickly looked up and stared at this man... a beggar... in the suburbs!!! What was I thinking just the day before??? God really does have a way of shaking me out of my comfortable little world, doesn't He? He does have a sense of humour, doesn't He?

Hubby and I ended up giving this man some food from our cart. Then we drove away. BUT, the encounter wouldn't leave me. The reality is... there are no beggars in the suburbs (at least, we've never bumped into one ever before!)... what was God's purpose in allowing this encounter... what more were we to do? So many questions! We decided that hubby would drop me off at the next store; he would go back to find the man and talk to him.

They chatted for a bit... hubby learned that his name is Ken and found out a little bit about his situation. Anyway, long story short... we have enough information that I think we can locate him again in order to help him through (or in partnership with) the local food bank that he frequents. I don't know if he wants any further contact with us... I don't know how exactly we can help... we'll have to wait and see. What I do know is that God taught me a huge lesson that day --- it's now almost a week later and I still smile when I think of the circumstances surrounding our encounter with Ken, the beggar... here in the suburbs!

I ended my previous blog post like this and I'm ending this one the exact same way:
Here I am. Lord, send me! (paraphrased from Isaiah 6:8)
The difference is, the verse rings true in a very personal way this time around! Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment