Monday, January 18, 2010

Tickled Pink

OK... tonight I have absolutely been tickled pink by God's sense of humour! So, our church hosts a Monday night sports drop-in programme for our community. It is purely a sports night --- there is no mention of God; no Bible lessons; no inviting people to come out to church. The families that come do know that we are a local church and that's about it! 

Tonight, one of the moms approached me... her children attended our church's summer sports camps (again, no "church content" there as well) and that's how she found out about this drop-in programme. They have been coming regularly every Monday night. 

She said: "I need to ask you a question." She proceeded to ask me if our church offered Bible classes for children! I said: "Absolutely. Why do you ask?" She told me that she's been observing "us" --- and she has come to the conclusion that Christians are different and that she wants her family to learn what we learn on Sundays! The key thing here is: she came to the conclusion by observing us; not by listening to us preach to her! That reality really hit home for me tonight. 

You see... I have had several opportunities to help this lady and her family over the past few months. During several of those opportunities... the tasks were soooo out of my comfort zone that I've had to convince myself to actually do them! 

God really does have a sense of humour, doesn't He? I now know that when this lady saw me help her out during those "out-of-my-comfort-zone" moments, she was actually forming an opinion --- a definition --- of what Christ-followers are supposed to be all about; to see if Christ-followers really do "walk the talk"! Looking back, I am soooo thankful that God gave me the strength to obey His promptings and that I acted on them! 

Galatians 6:9 definitely comes to mind right about now: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Also 1 John 3:18: "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 

All I can say is GO GOD!!! Like I said in the beginning of this post, I am tickled pink --- this is way too exciting!!! 

Here I am. Lord, send me! (paraphrased from Isaiah 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment