Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflections on this First Day Back to School...

Hello... new school year!  This morning was bittersweet as I realized how fast my two kids have grown up... 

It's my daughter's last year at this school.  She's in Grade 8 this year.  Nine years at this school, a school accessible via a walkway few houses from ours... one more year and she's off to high school, to a school located outside this familiar neighbourhood which we call home.  How time flies...

My son is in Grade 5 this year.  Wasn't he just entering Junior Kindergarten not too long ago?  This morning, as I waited with him for the school bell to ring... he said: "You can go home now, Mom.  I'll be alright!"  Wasn't it just yesterday when he would clutch my hand tightly... not wanting to let go... because he didn't want to go to school?  :-)

The memories... the realities...  time, would you slow down just for a tiny bit?  My babies are growing up way too fast!  I don't know if I'm ready for them to leave the nest... I don't know if any mom will ever be ready!!!

Well... reflections aside, I sense that this year will be awesome.  Both kids, as they sat eating their lunch in the kitchen today, had great things to say about their teachers and their classes.  There is excitement in their voices... a good thing!

They are also going to be spearheading the Operation Christmas Child project at school this year.  They are beyond excited to have their principal's support.  It will be the first time that this project is done at their school.  They have an ambitious goal of 200 shoeboxes!!!  I can't wait to see how it all comes together...

Kids making a difference for kids... what an awesome thing.  I'm one proud mama... my heart is smiling!

It's going to be a GREAT year!  Here I am.  Lord, send me.

No comments:

Post a Comment