Sunday, April 24, 2011

Resurrection Sunday!

Happy Resurrection Sunday, friends!
Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
~ John 1:29 (NASB)
For a second straight Sunday, I'm staying home from church.  Last Sunday it was because I wasn't feeling well.  Today, it is my boy's turn to be sick.  So... it is just him and me at home while hubby and my girl head to church.

This is actually the third day that I've been home with my boy... which translates to much time of quiet reflection for me as he sleeps and rests.  As I continue to reflect, I've come to the realization that this Easter has been, somehow, different for me.

There is an even deeper sense of gratitude in my soul for God's great love, for my Jesus' profound sacrifice, the ultimate Grace-gift, just for me... all stemming from an even deeper realization of my soul-wretchedness, my own great need for Grace... which is resulting in an even deeper desire to do thanksgiving, thanks-living, as a pouring-out of His radical, undeserved, relentless Love for me... goodness flowing out of me motivated by love and thanks, forever grateful!

This is a result of God's relentless love... pursuing, never letting go, especially over these past few years. God has taken our family on a wild ride.  In hindsight, I can now see the lessons He wanted to teach us.  Through the journey, He has led us to discover the simplicity of His ways, that good theology and good practice can go hand-in-hand, that balance is the key to obeying Him faithfully and serving Him well.

God has used this journey to bring us out of a faith family with a view that good theology will lead to good practice.  It was there {for almost fifteen years, as newly-weds and as we raised our very young children} where our family learned to be deeply rooted and grew in the Word of God, for which we are truly grateful.  He then led us to become part of a faith family with a view that good practice will lead to good theology.  It was there {for three years, as a young family} where our family's eyes were opened to the practice of doing faith, by doing good and serving others.

But God wasn't done with us yet.  Last Fall, He led us to the church we now call home.  Hubby and I sometimes joke that our new church is the marriage of our previous two churches!  It's true though... it is a place where we see both good theology and good practice held as equally important.  One doesn't lead to the other, both are forefront.

This church truly reflects what our family feels is most important in one's Christian walk... that is to be deeply rooted in Scripture and, at the same time, to be radically passionate about pouring out to others, thanks-living!  We are truly, truly, truly in awe that God, in His goodness and mercy, has graciously led us to this church.

We are anticipating the great and wonderful things that He has in store for us at this leg of our journey.  In fact, it has already started... we are excitedly planning our family's very first mission trip.  We are headed to the Philippines this Summer!  Plus, my girl has applied to be part of a Summer missions team with our church's youth... where they will experience going beyond "simply talking about compassionate living to actually rolling up their sleeves and digging right in." 

This has indeed been a different Easter, for sure.  I am amazed at His amazing grace!
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

~ Words by John Newton, 1779.  Last stanza by an unknown author, 1829.
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see where God leads you and your family! I love those words, thanks-living!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete