Sunday, April 17, 2011

On This Palm Sunday Morning...

... I am left here at home while hubby and the kids went to church.  I am feeling weak from a bout of stomach pain which struck me in the wee hours of this morning.  So, I felt it was best that I stayed home from church and concentrate on getting better!

After listening to our teaching pastor online, there is nothing more to do but read and blog --- the two activities that are at the top of my relaxing-things-to-do list!  I am currently reading Tsh Oxenreider's book, Organized Simplicity.  Believe it or not, I am looking out my window right now and I see snow flakes falling on this cold mid-April morning!  Seems like Winter decided to make a come-back?!?  It is definitely the kind of day to be indoors, keeping warm, curled up reading a book {and blogging, too!}... so I'm not complaining a wee bit that I'm stuck at home today! :-)

So... Palm Sunday.  Exactly one week to Resurrection Sunday!  It also means one week left in our family's very first practice of Lent!  I've said this before... but I will say it again, I can not believe that we've come this far and have not broken our fast from eating out or buying take-out during this season of Lent!  This practice has meant that I've been cooking many meals...

About six months ago or so, my eyes became open to the practice of buying responsibly when it comes to food that we consume as a family.  This has led us to eat better and healthier.  The meals I make have been from scratch using, as much as I can, non-processed local food ingredients.

Of course, during this season of Lent, upon eliminating restaurant meals and take-out food, setting aside time for meal preparation every single day has been key for me.  It has taken a lot of planning and discipline on my part.  I am happy to say that I think, {I hope} daily meal preparation has now become a normality for me.  Definitely a good thing!  I could not believe that we didn't do this sooner... because it is totally doable, plus it is obviously the healthier choice for our family, not to mention cheaper!

So, back to the reason why I paused my reading to do this blog post. Chapter 7 of Organized Simplicity is entitled Savor the Little Things.  One of the sections in this chapter is called Cooking From Scratch which, of course, caught my attention since I've been doing just that over these past six months, and more extensively over these last six weeks.  Here are some quotes from this chapter:
A home that nourishes life embraces the little moments and appreciates the rhythmic season of life, including the time necessary to cook real food from scratch. 

The payoffs are astronomical - better health, good stewardship of our environment, and setting a good example for our children are just a few of the benefits. 

If you are too busy to cook from scratch, then I argue that you're too busy, period.  Reevaluate your priorities and commitments.  If you want to live a healthy, long life and to pass the same luxury on to your children, then you must take the time to cook real food.
When we make something versus buying it, we're aware of how much time and energy went into the production of it, which makes us more mindful of the purchases we do make.  So it does slow us down, but in really wonderful ways, I believe.

Make your home a place where you can slow down.  Don't just wish for it and watch with helplessness as your kids grow by the minute.  Choose now to make your home a haven that can serve your family's desires and dreams, and don't waste any more time enslaving yourselves as its servant.  Life it too short to miss out on the little things.
Words of wisdom!  Words I am glad to have read today... encouraging me to stay on track!  Speaking of which, it's time to plan this upcoming week's meals.  Happy Palm Sunday, everyone!

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote:

    "Make your home a place where you can slow down. Don't just wish for it and watch with helplessness as your kids grow by the minute. Choose now to make your home a haven that can serve your family's desires and dreams, and don't waste any more time enslaving yourselves as its servant. Life it too short to miss out on the little things."

    Good stuff, I may have to read this book!!!

    Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't Tsh have wonderful wisdom in her book?! I am very much looking forward to having a kitchen again so I can get back to cooking from scratch! We've been eating a lot of pasta and salads lately. Not so bad, but I think of all the other wonderful healthful foods we could be eating if I had counter tops and access to all my cooking utensils. Oh well, soon :o)!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete