Thursday, February 2, 2012

On Loving All...

It's been a great winter... the weather has been mild and life has been slow... and to me, those are good things. I've had time to read, to blog, to bake, to even make dinner {gasp!}, to be less frazzled! It's a great feeling!

I am currently reading {still... it's a great read and I'm taking it slow in order to digest everything} Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution. Today, these words were waiting for me as I cracked open the book...
When we look through the eyes of Jesus, we see new things in people. In murderers, we see our own hatred. In the addicts, we see our own addictions. In the saints, we catch glimpses of our own holiness. We can see our own brokenness, our own violence, our own ability to destroy, and we can see our sacredness, our own capacity to love and forgive. When we realize that we are both wretched and beautiful, we are freed up to see others the same way.
When we have new eyes, we can look into the eyes of those we don't even like and see the One we love. We can see God's image in everyone we encounter. As Henri Nouwen puts it, "In the face of the oppressed I recognize my own face, and in the hands of the oppressor I recognize my own hands. Their flesh is my flesh, their blood is my blood, their pain is my pain, their smile is my smile." We are made of the same dust. We cry the same tears. No one is beyond redemption. And we are free to imagine a revolution that sets both the oppressed and the oppressors free.
As I continue to reflect upon what it truly means to live out the greatest of commandments... the practice of Love... the choice that we as Christ-followers must choose... the above words come to life!

We can love all.
A love revolution...
Seeing the One we love in everyone.

My boy and I...
at last year's Out of the Cold dinner.
These are great thoughts for me to ponder as we prepare to take a group of youth from our church to prepare and serve dinner to a group of homeless people in our community this weekend.

Based on past experiences, this service project can often be uncomfortable or difficult for experienced volunteers, let alone young people. Many of the guests can arrive not being sober, some can be in a volatile state of mind, fights can break out among them, some can be very demanding and ungrateful.

With those thoughts in mind... yesterday, as I got to the end of the information email that I was drafting to send out to everyone who's volunteering this weekend... I pondered on how to end it... and this is what I wrote:
Finally, be ready to serve all, love all & have good fun at the same time.
To look through the eyes of Jesus.
To be His hands and His feet.
To be the Love Revolution! 

I am excited for this weekend! It's going to be great seeing young people step out of their comfort zone... to serve and love people who are in the fringes of society... just as Jesus did!

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. You encourage me over and over.... those words... yes to love all! Praying for you this wkend!

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers, Teena! They are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete