Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Living Each Day Fully...

Hello friends and hello Thursday... with this, my Walk With Him Wednesdays post. I had no time to blog yesterday and you will soon see why. 

Yesterday, we attended a funeral and went to a visitation.... a funeral for a relative and a visitation for a friend's mom. Needless to say, yesterday was not a typical Wednesday.

Being confronted with the reality of death, not just once... but twice in one day, really made me reflect on the brevity of life. Even though both of the deceased were in their 70s, a whole lifetime here on earth is still short when compared to where they are right now... and that is, eternity.

Speaking of eternity... where are they spending eternity? I couldn't help but wonder about each person's life story. Did they have a relationship with Jesus? Were they followers of Christ here on earth? 

Another thing that funerals and visitations often bring to light is the religion, culture and traditions of the family. I couldn't help but notice how religion tries to explain the way to eternal life... and how certain practices of culture and traditions try to make sure that life-after-death will be comfortable for the deceased.

Three thoughts stayed with me from yesterday's experiences...

Seeing life's brevity... live everyday fully.
Witnessing life's hypocrisy... live authentically.
Knowing life's eternity... be radical in sharing my faith in Jesus.

Coincidentally, yesterday was the start of Lent... the preparing of one's heart for Easter. Traditionally, people "give up" something for Lent because the act of refusing oneself of accustomed pleasures develops a discipline that molds the body and the soul towards Christ and towards God's will.

I think marking Lent can be the perfect way to develop the three thoughts I have above. The discipline I can gain from practicing Lent can help me... to live each day more fully, to be a more authentic human being, to be more radical in sharing my faith in Jesus with people I cross paths with everyday.

Our family is practicing Lent a little differently this year than we did last year. We are still fasting from eating out and giving away that money in order to send six under-privileged Filipino children to school. On top of that, each of us is searching our hearts... and fasting from one activity which we think is needlessly taking up our time each day... causing us to neglect the reading of the Bible and/or praying.

And... I've identified mine... this will be a tough one for me, I know that already! It's going to take a whole lot of discipline on my part! :-)

It is... the checking of Facebook and Twitter constantly all throughout the day! So, friends... this will be my personal fast this Lent: I have chosen to only check Facebook and Twitter once in the morning, once during my lunch break and once before bed... from now until Easter Sunday!

Will you also celebrate Lent, friend?
Will you choose a fast, too?
As a way to live more fully?
In Isaiah 58:6-9 (NIV), it says...
Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
    to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
    to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
    when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing will quickly appear;
    then your righteousness will go before you,
    and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
Click on the banner below to read more Walk With Him posts every Wednesday...
I promise you will be blessed!



Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. This is the first blog I've read that actually gives a good reason to fast. We should fast to be set free from our yokes, to be able to have the resources to help the needy and to be nearer to God. I couldn't wrap my mind around how fasting wouldn't just chain me to another works oriented faith. But I see that these are good reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for visiting today!

      Delete