Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Hodge-Podge Post

Hello weekend! Happy Saturday, everyone!

It's been a quiet week here on my blog, hasn't it? Not necessarily so here at home as we got back into, no... it's been more like... as we are trying hard to get back into routine after coming home from our trip to the Philippines.

It's been harder than I thought especially since it's still Summer... which means no school for the kids! My flexible work hours sure don't help one bit either... I've been working from 11am to 5pm instead of my usual 8am to 2pm. Sigh...

Well, this coming week is it... the last week of Summer holidays! We have to get our act together if we want the kids to get to school on time! Aaacck!

Well, like I said in the beginning of this blog post, the blog's been quiet but it's certainly not the case in our household. So here's a hodge-podge from my thoughts about this week:

  • Remember my first blog post upon coming back from the Philippines? The one where I said, "I don't want to forget..."? Well, last Saturday as we went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, we met a woman and her baby. She came straight towards us as we approached our car in the Wal-Mart parking lot. She spoke very little English but she had a note, scribbled on a piece of cardboard that said, "Please Help... Four Kids... Need money for food and rent. God Bless You." Under my breath I said to God, "Thank you, God, for not letting us forget... for helping us to remember!" We went back into Wal-Mart and bought her groceries, diapers, baby food. Then we drove her to a McDonald's across the street, bought her some food so she could sit there and wait for her sister to pick her up. Turns out, she's a brand-new immigrant (two weeks only) to Canada from Romania. They ran out of money and can't find jobs. I was able to give her a brochure of a local organization that might be able to help her.
  • In Compassion-related developments, another one of my Child Packs now have a sponsor... little Jesus from Peru have been sponsored!!! It is truly amazing how God is showing me how HE is leading the way in my new journey as a Volunteer Advocate for Compassion Canada! Also, I am happy to report that both my hubby and my girl have officially become Volunteer Advocates as well! So cool!!!
  • This week I had the opportunity to visit a friend, the one I blogged about here who has been dealing with kidney failure. God is doing an amazing work in her life! She is now on daily dialysis and is doing very well. Best of all, she has started attending church. God is truly good...
  • In other Compassion-related news, we received confirmation this week that our sponsorship of Rochelle is now active! I'm excited about this new relationship that we have the privilege of cultivating. I am thrilled that our family is going to be a part of the God-story in Rochelle's life. By the way, they found out that her birth certificate has her name spelled as Rechelle... but I'm just so used to typing Rochelle. It's how she spelled her name growing up and it's how it was spelled when we met her in Cebu! So, I think... Rochelle it is!
  • Yesterday, for the first time in our married life... we had no mortgage payment!(#964)  I still can't believe it, it's like I'm in a dream. God is truly so good... this was an unexpected grace-gift, to say the least!

Well, that's the kind of week it's been for us... full of surprises from our Heavenly Father, who always loves and is always good! I just finished reading What's So Amazing About Grace?, a book by Philip Yancey. Here are a few quotes... they are gold:
The Christian knows to serve the weak not because they deserve it but because God extended his love to us when we deserved the opposite. Christ came down from heaven, and whenever his disciples entertained dreams of prestige and power he reminded them that the greatest is the one who serves. The ladder of power reaches up, the ladder of grace reaches down.
"But the fact is, the reason I do what I do, and so many of our volunteers do what they do, is that we're being obedient to Jesus." ~ Millard Fuller, founder of Habitat for Humanity.
The world thirsts for grace. When grace descends, the world falls silent before it.
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment