Friday, October 22, 2010

Still Thinking About That Middle Ground...

Since my blog post last Friday about not becoming comfortable in the middle ground... I find myself still deep in thought about it all week long.  My thoughts dwell mostly on how to make sure we do not leave our children with a legacy of being comfortable in the middle ground.

One thought is truly bothering me and this is it: If the only thing our children are familiar with is the middle ground, then it is all they are going to live for and be passionate about.  This thought got illustrated very clearly to me one afternoon this week as my kids and I drove towards my sister's home.

The drive there is very scenic, a lot of nature, especially at this time of year when all the leaves are ablaze with their beautiful Autumn colours.  I remarked at how beautiful the sight is... and noticed that my children were not as captivated by the beauty as I was.  At first, their reaction (or the lack of it...) puzzled me, but then the truth hit me.

Here's the truth.  I grew up in a country where the seasons didn't change.  I had absolutely no idea that Autumn could be sooooo beautiful until I came to Canada at age 17.  But to my children, there really isn't anything that special about Autumn.  It's just plain old Autumn... it's always been the same way as far as they can remember.

Same thing with the middle ground... my children have only ever known North America, a culture where everyone strives to live in the middle ground!  To them, there is nothing wrong with the middle ground... it is the norm.  This truth moved me to tears... I had to stop driving and compose myself before continuing on to our destination.

The real question is... are we doing enough to make sure our children don't get sucked into the lifestyle of being comfortable in the middle ground?  That is precisely why our family intentionally gets involved with groups who minister to under privileged children locally, globally with Operation Christmas Child, feeding the homeless from downtown Toronto, sponsoring and writing to Compassion Canada children (in India and Honduras) and worthwhile causes like Habitat for Humanity.

The next step would perhaps be a mission trip to countries like Haiti or Guatemala... or a trip back to the Philippines... to places where my children can see people who do not have the luxury to live in the middle ground.  It is only when one has seen with their own eyes that a response can ensue.  Our prayer and our hope is that... for our children, their response will not be a non-response.  Instead, it will be a resounding... 

Here I am.  Lord, send me!

No comments:

Post a Comment