Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Joy in the Mundane

This is what I read this morning in my devotions:
January is often referred to as the "blue" month. The blahs attack and a strange sense of discontentment fills our hearts and minds. A local radio host recently explained that since the holidays are over, there is a void or a vacuum left that causes those blues. I agree with part of that assessment. Something is definitely missing but I don't think it has as much to do with the Christmas holidays as with the way we live the rest of the year.

Christmas is not a season.

Christmas is not a date on the calendar.

Christmas is a way of life.

Every day should find us still and quiet before the manger as we celebrate the birth, life, death and resurrection of our coming Lord and King, Jesus Christ. We need to learn how to seek Him and pray continually about everything. If it is important to us, it is important to Him. It is time for us to focus on how we can serve instead of being so concerned about being served. We need to keep our gaze on Him and our glance on the circumstances that so often cause us to stumble and fall because we have forgotten what is really important - to nourish and cultivate our relationship with Jesus Christ. Our heart desire should center around becoming more like Him and serving others as He did during His time on earth.

~ Mary Southerland, To Know Him More, Girlfriends In God.
Don't know about you, friends... but feeling "blue" each time January rolls around seems to be quite common with many people around me. And, it can be contagious!

So... this year, instead of contracting the contagious "January blues", I chose to {just like it says in the above quote} focus on how I can serve instead of being so concerned about being served, centering my desire around becoming more like Him and serving others as He did during His time on earth.

The result? I am finding joy in the mundane!
I am soaring through my January!
What a pleasant surprise!

Critter footprints in the snow.

My boy making s'mores!

My house plant, so full of life.

Cream cheese cookies in the oven...

They're ready to devour!

Snow-covered hydrangeas.

How about you, friend? 
How are you finding joy in the mundane?
How about checking out the Joy Dare? I am looking forward to posting my January Joy Dare List at the end of the month!
The holy grail of joy's not in some exotic location or some emotional mountain peak experience. The joy wonder could be here! Here, in the messy, piercing ache of wondrous now, joy might be - unbelievably - possible! The only place we need see before we die, is this place of seeing God, here and now.
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that it's been a great January. Finding joy in the simple things is what has made it so good. Looking forward to your list at the end of the month!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. January has been good for me too. I worked my first Compassion event. I embraced the Joy Dare... counting gifts.

    Thanks for always encouraging.

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  3. January has been full of joy moments for me as well.

    ReplyDelete