Saturday, September 3, 2011

Another Weekend Recap Post

Happy weekend, everyone! As you can tell, I've not been able to blog consistently these past few weeks {since coming home from our missions immersion trip to the Philippines}. There are two reasons why that is the case. First, we're making the most of these last days of summer by doing a few family outings... hence, I am away from my computer quite a bit {aside from doing work}.

Secondly, one which I am still trying to get my head around... is that since coming back from our trip, it seems meaningless for me to be blogging about the mundane happenings when there are millions of people suffering in poverty. I know, I know... life has to go on... I'm just still processing everything, digesting... learning how to live out this new normal.

So, please bear with me, my dear blog readers... as I take some time to figure out how God would like to use this blog going forward.... as I continue to walk in obedience to Him! In the meantime, here's another weekend recap post... summarizing another ordinary, yet not so ordinary, week around here:
In Compassion news, God continues to amaze me by bringing sponsors my way! This week little Hadassa and little Wadley, both from Haiti, have a loving sponsor to call their own. God is truly good. Furthermore, I am going to be at a women's conference organized by my sister's church two weekends from now and they are giving me an opportunity to talk about the ministry of Compassion International! I have quite a few Child Packs {children from one of the centres we visited in the Philippines and also some from the Horn of Africa} to bring with me. Please pray with me... that these children will be connected with loving sponsors!!!
In other Compassion news, Shaun Groves has released his newest album, Third World Symphony. Shaun is a gifted singer & songwriter, an advocate traveling the world for Compassion International, being a voice for children who have no voice, releasing them from poverty. Please watch this video to hear Shaun tell you how Third World Symphony was born:
Please watch. Thank you!

Shaun Groves - Third World Symphony (Ethiopia Story) from Shaun Groves on Vimeo.
I have the album on repeat and I am being comforted by the songs, like a balm for my soul... especially for this ache that I have since returning from the Philippines. I am thankful for this music... truly a Third World Symphony! Buy it... you won't regret it!
Hubby and I also had to opportunity to attend a pre-release screening of the movie, Courageous. We received tickets for being a part of Compassion Canada's Advocate Network. It is coming to theatres all over Canada and the U.S. on September 30. All I can say is, "Go see it!"... it will change your life!
I think that is everything in Compassion-related news! In other happenings this past week...
I am floored by how God continues to lead our family to serve those who are the last, the least, the forgotten, and the forsaken. Our pastor met with me this past week and asked me to consider taking on the position of Volunteer Compassion Director! I will basically be helping people at our church learn how to live more compassionate lifestyles by serving the last, the least, the forgotten and the forsaken --- to live simply so that others can simply live! How cool is that?!?
I am excited... I have not said "yes" yet... I have a couple more days to pray, to mull this over. Honestly, I am terrified... by the *hugeness* of this role. At the same time, I feel challenged and I am remembering the verse from Joshua 1:9 which says, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
So... in a couple of days, summer will officially be over as school starts up again! It is going to be a year of new beginnings for our family.

My girl starts high-school. Did I just type high-school? Really... where did the time go?!? For the very first time, my kids will be going to different schools so my boy will have to get used to not having big sister at his school and walking to/from school alone. He is also getting a new principal this year.

As for hubby and me, new things also... as he considers a Volunteer Board position with a crisis-pregnancy ministry and as I consider the role of Volunteer Compassion Director at our church! Wow... God has been busy... busy changing us, busy molding us, busy breaking our hearts for the things that break His heart!

I think it's going to be a great year of trusting God for our family... with the new beginnings that God has placed in our path! Thus, the journey continues...
... if it’s the true God we’ve been worshipping, we should be filled with a sense of new possibilities: of new tasks and new energy to accomplish them. ~ Tom Wright, Paul for Everyone, The Prison Letters
Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

1 comment:

  1. So many exciting and wonderful things to look forward and for you to use your gifts for! I'm looking forward to listening to Shaun Groves's new album! I can't now because I'm in the little girl's room waiting for them to fall asleep -- well only one anymore now :o). Two were asleep in less than five minutes.

    Be blessed as you are a blessing!
    Deborab

    ReplyDelete