Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Welcome Fall!

As the leaves on the ash tree in our backyard start to turn from green to yellow, and they start to fall; and as I start to see some bare branches peeking out of the tree top, there is no mistaking that the Fall season is upon us.

As I marvel at how the landscape changes ever so rapidly during this time of the year, it parallels the changes in routine for our family that comes with the Fall season. The change happens oh-so-quickly and 'just-like-that' --- school is in full swing for the children; music lessons and extra-curricular activities occupy the children's spare time; business and work pick up for both my hubby and me; different church programmes we are involved in charge full steam ahead; our Bible studies start up and my prayer group meets again.

Families today are busy, busy, busy! Sometimes it is hard to pick and choose which programme to attend or which activity to do, but I do believe that limiting the number of activities we do is a necessary decision to make in order for the family to stay healthy, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well.

My Bible study group started studying 'Discerning the Voice of God' by Pricilla Shirer. As I did my homework for week one, I couldn't help but be drawn to this truth: to 'be still and know that I am God'. This truth caught my attention more than a few times as I studied God's Word this week. Could it be that God is trying to get my attention? I am most definitely a task-oriented person and I can not sit still! BUT, as the Fall season started this year, I have increasingly felt the need to 'slow-down' my pace (and my family's as well) in order to recharge and to refocus.

As I pondered on the truth of 'being still' before God and waiting for Him, these lyrics (from the song 'Power Of Your Love') came to mind:

And as I wait; I'll rise up like an eagle;
And I will soar with You; Your Spirit leads me on;
By the power of Your love.

Only when we are still and when we wait patiently can we hear (and discern) the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit. What powerful truth!

"...the Lord longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him!"
---Isaiah 30:18 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment