Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Child Who Is Different

More on the book I'm reading --- Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel. The author discusses four different ways in which we can show our children how to find love, purpose and hope in Jesus Christ. These four ways are:

The freedom to be different.
The freedom to be vulnerable.
The freedom to be candid.
The freedom to make mistakes.

Grace-based families are homes where children are given all those four freedoms.

On the topic of 'the freedom to be different', the author said of his wife and himself: "Grace taught us that God cared more about the length of a child's character than He did about the length of his hair. Grace taught us that God was far more concerned about the song in a child's heart than the music coming from his stereo."

I learned that we need to allow our children to be different, to be unique, to be the person that God has designed them to be. Sometimes, it would mean having a child that is weird, bizarre, strange, goofy or quirky. As long as their 'uniqueness' does not compromise clearly stated precepts in the Bible, then I should allow them the freedom to express themselves. I also learned from this chapter that, most of the time, parents do not allow certain freedoms because they are worried of what others might think of them and their parenting skills or parenting style. In my opinion, that should be the least of our worries. Foremost in our minds should be that our children's need for love, purpose and hope are being fulfilled by the way we parent them.

Wow, loads to think about. But, the next time I'm tempted to tell my son not to go overly crazy or goofy...I should remind myself of this chapter. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment