Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hollow and Deceptive Philosophies

I was on the piano with the worship band this past Sunday at church. The worship experience is always so much more intense for me when I'm on the band as compared to when I'm sitting on the pew. It's hard to put into words --- but, it's like I worship so much more deeply. I think I'm meant to worship the best when my hands are making music!

To add to the experience, our church recently installed a new sound system. This past Sunday, I was able to use the personal in-ear monitor system. Each person in the band has their own in-ear monitor...it was oh-so-cool! I am able to adjust how much of each instrument I want to come through my earphones. For the first time, I am able to hear all the instruments properly as we make music together to worship our God! Awesome!

But what I really want to blog about today is the sermon message from Sunday. The speaker was preaching from Colossians 2:1-15. Verse 8 in the NIV says: "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." He challenged us to think about what philosophies shape our thinking. I asked myself --- what kind of philosophies are we passing down to our children?

It reminded me once again the importance of being intentional in passing down a Biblical/Christian worldview to our children especially in a society like Canada where pluralism is celebrated. A worldview is defined as the way we perceive the world around us. I think that one's worldview is not only formed by things such as education, upbringing and culture, but also by the books we read and by the media and movies we absorb.

Am I involved in my children's education enough so that I catch things taught to them that are not in line with the Bible? Am I the primary influence in my children's upbringing? Am I mindful of the culture(s) that they are exposed to? Am I watching what they read, where they go on the Internet, what they are watching on TV and in movies?

Wow...lots to think about! It's like a race...where the finish line is when the children are all grown-up and independent! I have from now until then to continue to shape their worldview --- it sure isn't an easy task! This verse is what comes to mind right now --- "...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, ..." Hebrews 12:1-2(NIV)

It's great comfort for me that if I fix my eyes on Jesus, I will get to the end of the race in one piece and the Bible is there to guide me along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment