Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Labour Day, Birthday and the Start of School

Thirteen Labour Day Mondays ago...
At precisely 8:21 in the evening, an eight-pound-ten-ounce bundle of joy in the form of a sweet baby boy joined our family. True to the meaning of his name, Jonathan... he is a gift of God, from the Hebrew name Yehonatan meaning Yahweh has given.

Through my son, God has truly given me a precious gift. It is an honour and a privilege to be called his mama... I wouldn't trade this journey with anything else!

Mothering him has made me a better person.

It has taught me valuable life-lessons, it has humbled me, it has challenged me.

It has driven me to my knees in prayer, it has given me so much joy and laughter, it has had me shedding tears.

It has made my heart swell with so much happiness, it has made me trust God so much more.

It has broken me, it has made me whole.

Motherhood is truly a gift... my boy *is* a gift, a blessing beyond measure!  

Just a few minutes old.

A few months old.

At his baby dedication.

In just a blink of an eye... 
He's suddenly a teenager! Thirteen. Yes, thirteen! Today, he turns thirteen. How did that happen so fast? How is it that, seemingly overnight, he's suddenly taller than his sister?!? How is it that his feet have surpassed mine in size?!?

How is it that time waits for no one? How is it that time always flows like a relentless river?



We've always celebrated his birthday over the Labour Day weekend...
This year is no different, even though it turned out to be a series of impromptu celebrations --- a trek downtown on Friday, an outing to the waterfront park on Saturday, a dinner with dear friends on Sunday, another dinner with family on Monday... plus we'll be heading out to have dinner at his favourite restaurant later tonight. 









And, birthday boy started school yesterday... 
This year, he's in Grade 8... his last year in elementary school! As I walked with him to school for this last first-day-of-school at our neighbourhood public school, I couldn't help but remember back to his first day of Junior Kindergarten.

Like it was just yesterday...

With big sister on his first day of Kindergarten. Thumbs up!!!

Just before heading out the door!

Hubby had to pull him in the wagon. His little legs couldn't
walk the entire {short} way to the school! :)

Entering the Kindergarten yard.
Mommy is following right behind! ;)

In a blink of an eye, it's the eve of Grade 8. Chilling on the couch with me
{and his cube} and processing some first-day-of-school jitters.

Happily going off to school in the morning!

Happy Birthday, my son!
You are loved, more than you can imagine! My prayer for you today, as always, is this...
May you grow up to be... "a man whose heart beats to God's heart, a man who will do what God tells him." {Paraphrased from Acts 13:22, The Message.}
Though somehow... I know you have already become that young man, one who is after God's own heart. Your mama is so thankful for God's grace in your life and so honoured for this privilege of being your mom. To God be the glory, great things He has done!

:: :: ::

As I continue to count grace-gifts, with unending thanks... to The One who is always good and who always loves... these are the things I am thankful for this week... #3055 - #3062:
:: God's grace, for mama mistakes. And, second chances. His mercies, new every morning. His faithfulness, so great!
:: The joy that my boy brings each day to our family! Marking thirteen wonder-filled years today!
:: Family movie night at the theatres... one movie for the boys, another one for us girls! :) 
:: Smooth transition back-to-work, after vacation.
:: Another school year being upon us, praying for one filled with God-appointed moments.
:: Friends and family. 
:: Our local Farmers' Market!
:: A Compassion child, being considered for sponsorship!
Hello brand-new school year!
On the start of this unofficial new year... I am reflecting on these:
All the world is window. People, circumstances, situations, relationships, no material is opaque. If we are willing to see, all is transparent. All of this globe is but glass to God. Eucharisteo washes the windows. Eucharisteo, wholesale worship, is redemptive work, wiping away the soot of days cindered. ~ Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts.
My friends, you were chosen to be free. So don't use your freedom as an excuse to do anything you want. Use it as an opportunity to serve each other with love. All the Law says can be summed up in the command to love others as much as you love yourself. ~ Galatians 5:13,14.
Choosing to live a surrendered life... because Christ's love compels me... and giving thanks for everything that my good God so freely bestows, so lavishly gives and so extravagantly showers!


Compassion is a command, an act of worship, a song of thanks to Him.
Do justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. its been a while... when I peek in here and your music starts. I have missed you my friend. We keep on on IG ... but I miss your blog. Crazy summer. Crazy days. Slowing.... breathing deep. Yahweh.

    Happy Birthday to Jon! It does seem like yesterday they were just itty bitty. Where does the time go?

    Much love, friend.
    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Teena! Blogging {and reading blogs} has taken a backseat for me too this summer. I am getting back to somewhat of a routine this week though as school starts up again.

      Instagram is an awesome way to stay in touch, isn't it?

      Love you too!

      Delete