Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Living Beyond Myself

This morning we woke up to another dumping of snow! So far, they are reporting that we've had almost 160cm of snow this winter. The snow pile on either side of our driveway is getting soooo high I don't know where we will put the snow if more come down in the next few days!

Anyway, I was walking home after bringing the kids to school this morning and alongside me was another mom, also walking home. She was lamenting on and on --- about the snow, about garbage day, about a sick child at home and about missing work today. I was feeling a little overwhelmed myself, but out of nowhere, I found myself responding this way: "Let's look at the bright side, winter will be over soon!". She looked at me quite strangely and said: "Wow, it'd be great to be as optimistic as you are!".

Frankly, I was surprised that I came across optimistic because I truly wasn't that when I woke up this morning. But, I did make a choice --- I chose JOY! With my Bible study lesson 'Living Beyond Yourself' still very fresh on my mind from Monday night, I determined when I woke up to choose to live abundantly in the Spirit, to claim God's promise of abundant life in Christ Jesus.

So, it slowly dawned on me that JOY was evident in me this morning as that other mom pointed out. Wow, I couldn't have exude that in my own strength. This morning was definitely a good reminder to me that I need God's help each and every day for the fruit of the Spirit to be evident in my life.

I do have one regret from this morning. After the whole thought process filtered through my brain (you see, my morning coffee was still making its way to the brain...), it was time for the other mom and me to walk our separate directions. What I really wanted to say in response to her was: "You know, it's not me. It's because the joy of the Lord is my strength!". By the time the words travelled from my brain to my mouth, and by the time I decided it was the right thing to say, it was too late. I had missed a God-moment. I told myself not to be so wishy-washy next time. My prayer is that God will allow me a next time --- another opportunity!

"... for the joy of the Lord is your strength."
---Nehemiah 8:10 NIV

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust Him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."
---Psalm 28:7 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment