Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We Are More Than Halfway...

...through March! Yipee!!!

It's actually been not-too-bad at all. By God's grace, I've been juggling everything that is/was in store for me in March pretty well. Although one thing I haven't been able to do much is blog! So, here's a hodge podge of an entry to make up for that last 18 days...

Let's see...first off, work! I've been able to constantly put in 4-5 hours each day for work...so I'm not stressed about that anymore. Next, my daughter's Destination Imagination team has been working very hard and their presentation is actually coming together quite nicely. If they place first or second at the Ontario Tournament at the end of this month, we are heading to Tennessee for the Global Finals! Ahhh! We'll have to cross that bridge when/if we get there...but it's good to dream, right? The team is very excited and looking forward to doing their best at the Ontario Tournament.

Let's see...what else? Oh yes! We survived March Break even though the flu bug paid us a visit. Also, I am proud to say that my family has been very well fed throughout this busy month. We've hardly had to eat out or order take out. The frozen meals from the cookbook The Big Cook have fed us well!!!

Let's see...another thing to blog about is the food drive that we did with our church plant, The Sanctuary Pickering. It was held on Friday, March 14. Hubby, the kids and I decided that we would grab a bite at the local Wendy's before heading over to the public school where we were supposed to congregate with the rest of the team. While we were eating our dinner, I looked out the window and saw a woman holding a sign saying: "Have two kids to feed, will work for food." Now, she caught my attention right away because it is rather strange to see a person begging for food here in the suburbs! In fact, I've never seen anyone do that in our neck of the woods before, ever! I knew we had to do something for this poor woman. Anyway, we ended up talking to her and giving her a grocery giftcard. We even told her about the Food Bank that we were collecting food for later that evening.

I wonder if God arranged for that to happen! We weren't even supposed to eat dinner at Wendy's that night. I had planned on making dinner but the day kind of ran away from me. Going to Wendy's was a last minute decision. You see, I think God wanted to show me that there is a purpose to the food drive that we were doing because in the weeks leading up to the event, I found myself questioning the need for it. I asked myself questions like: Are there really hungry people in the suburbs?... I've never seen them here... Homelessness and hunger is a downtown problem!... What is the purpose of this food drive?... I guess God wanted to show me!!!

Now, about the actual food drive itself...

We walked around a whole neighbourhood from 6pm to 8pm knocking on doors, introducing ourselves and asking for food donations. The kids were such troopers, walking alongside us and pulling the wagon the whole way. Wouldn't you believe it, by the end of those two hours, we had collected in total over 750 pounds of food which we turned over to the local Food Bank! The food filled 15 huge plastic storage bins. It was an awesome experience. Plus, God took care of all the details, He even held the rain back and gave us great walking weather!

Truly, our God is awesome and He is good!

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: 'He has scattered abroad His gifts to the poor; His righteousness endures forever.' " ---2 Corinthians 9:7-9 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment