Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Prayer, A New Friend

Lord, may I enter this day without hurry;
May I bear its burdens without complaint.
May I face its tasks without fear,
May I meet its temptations without dishonor,
May I rest at its close without shame.
And this prayer I make to Thee,
Let thy Kingdom come today in me.
- Author Unknown.
I love this prayer... it's been pinned to the bulletin board in my home office for years now. It was from a devotional I read written by Ruth Bell Graham.

My thoughts went to this prayer this morning as I prayed for my new friend especially about bearing today's burdens and facing today's tasks! She is home from hospital now to start a new life that will include regular dialysis and a new diet. The problem is... she lives alone, has no family around and has never once cooked a meal for herself!

My sister and I visited her the other night. We brought groceries and cooked food for her to last a few days. I was overwhelmed by her situation... so I can only imagine what she is feeling!  But, I do know one thing... my Heavenly Father is not overwhelmed.  For the Bible says:
See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands.
--- Isaiah 49:16 (NLT)
The prayer also reminded me of one thing... that God's Kingdom can come each day in me! My new friend's sudden health crisis has banded a group of ladies like I've never seen before. This group of ladies (my sister's Bible study group) has come together, as Christ followers should, to become His hands and His feet for our new friend.  I definitely feel privileged to be a part of the action, to say the least --- truly Jesus' church at work for the furtherance of His Kingdom.

Here I am.  Lord, send me!

No comments:

Post a Comment