Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Poem

It is Mother's Day!

My son brought a poem home from school on Friday to give to me for Mother's Day... complete with a plant he grew from seed, a Scarlet Bean Pole, for my garden. My daughter gave me an artwork she designed by melting crayon shavings with a flat iron... quite lovely! Fellow mommies... cherish those handmade crafts that come home from school... they come home less and less as the children grow older!

I have never come across the poem my son gave me before and I thought it is quite neat. Here it is:

My Mother Kept A Garden

My Mother kept a garden,
A garden of the heart,
She planted all the good things
That gave my life its start.

She turned me to the sunshine
And encouraged me to dream,
Fostering and nurturing
The seeds of self-esteem...

And when the wind and rain came,
She protected me enough ---
But not too much because she knew
I'd need to stand up strong and tough.

Her constant good example
Always taught me right from wrong ---
Markers for my pathway
That will last a lifetime long.

I am my Mother's garden.
I am her legacy ---
And I hope today she feels the love
Reflected back from me.
Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow mommies!

No comments:

Post a Comment