Sunday, March 15, 2009

Asking Myself This...

This weekend, while having a conversation with a friend about the appropriateness of handing out gospel tracts during certain community events, a thought came to my mind. It is actually quite a disturbing thought! Here it is... it seems to me that Christians these days are only identifiable to others when they have gospel tracts in their hands or when they are publicly doing evangelism or when they are in church. 

I found myself thinking... when people (neighbours, co-workers, friends, etc.) look at my everyday life... when I don't have a gospel tract in my hand... when I am not publicly speaking about my faith... is there enough evidence; do I stand out... in order for them to conclude that I am a follower of Christ? 

As hubby and I volunteered at a church service project this past weekend, the same question came to mind. I said to hubby: this person doesn't necessarily know that it is a church group that has come to help him. But through our acts of service alone (not by giving him a gospel tract and certainly not by trying to preach to/at him), I wonder if he is able to see God through us? Because if he can not, then we are certainly not being good representatives of Christ here on earth! 

Does my life reflect my faith? I think I have some pondering to do... 

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. --- I Corinthians 13:1-3 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment