Friday, February 17, 2012

Delight

On Fridays {maybe not every Friday... we'll see how this goes}, I link up with a whole community of Five Minute Friday posts. Today's word for Five Minute Friday is: DELIGHT.

When I think of the word delight, the verse from Psalm 37:4 come to mind right away. It says: 
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
This verse has grown in meaning and truth for me as I've matured, over the years, in Christ. It is one of the many verses that my mother had me memorize at a young age for which I will be forever grateful.

When I first memorized this verse... I thought, "Awesome... if I just obey the Lord and do everything He commands, I will get anything and everything I ask for." In a little girl's mind... that translates to new toys, new trinkets, new clothes and fun activities.

I am thankful for God's grace... for He molds me with each passing day, each passing month, each passing year. Today, I have learned much about delighting myself in the Lord and about the desires of my heart.

To delight in the Lord is to hope... to soar! And the desires of my heart today? Well, I can't say that I would have been passionate about the same desires in the past. God is truly good. He is to be praised!

Linking up at The Gypsy Mama with other Five Minute Friday posts:

... where we write for five minutes flat on Fridays.
We write because we want to, not because we have to. 
We write for fun, for joy, for discovery.
Won’t you join us?

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God!

6 comments:

  1. It's neat to see that I haven't been alone in my growing understanding of this verse. Great thoughts today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so cool to read all the other Five Minute Friday posts today!

      Delete
  2. It is encouraging to see how God expands our understanding of His ways and words as we mature in Him...how blessed you are to have a mom that had you memorize Scripture...Blessings to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... the verses I have memorized are such a blessing to me... thanks to my mom!

      Delete
  3. God continues to grow me.... I am so thankful. Thanks for sharing. Its been a great week for us. We have a surprise...

    Hope you have a great weekend. :))

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read about your surprise, Teena!

    ReplyDelete