Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The True Fast

There is a global movement... to end extreme poverty in our lifetime. It is happening now and it is simply called 58:! Come join the movement... it will change your life!

From 58:'s website:
58: is a Christ-centered global initiative to end extreme poverty. The name comes from Isaiah 58 where God desires that his people carry out a True Fast, one that cares for the poor and oppressed.
Please watch this short video for more information:

Please pause the Playlist on the sidebar of this blog as you watch the video.


Great initiative, don't you think? When I first heard of it a while back, I was right away sold to the idea. And, to my delight... I found out that one of organizations partnering with 58: is none other than Compassion International! That sealed the deal for me! :-)

Here's the 58: Pledge:
I will discover and live out the truths of Isaiah 58 in practical ways – today.
I will confront indifference toward the poor because poverty is not an abstract issue: it affects real people who are dearly loved by God.
I will help spread the messages of hope and possibility. Pointing out progress, sharing encouraging examples of impact and challenging low expectations.
I will strive to live the True Fast of Isaiah in acts of personal sacrifice. Simple and real. No idle words. Just authentic action in whatever small way I can.
I will invite others to join me in living 58. So that we, together, might “spend ourselves on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed.”
Together we will form an unprecedented, unified movement to bring an end to extreme poverty in our lifetime.
I will live 58.
So, will you join me?

Yes? Awesome! Why not start by checking out Compassion International's Water of Life system? For $55, you can provide one child with clean water for life. Yes. For. Life!

Also, 58: has created a feature film that explores how we can end extreme poverty in our lifetime. It is being released in October... next month! Please help spread the word... so many more will join the movement. Here's the trailer:

Please pause the Playlist on the sidebar of this blog as you watch the video.
58: THE FILM Trailer from LIVE58NOW on Vimeo.

Let's live 58...
And end extreme poverty in our lifetime!

Unwrapping more of His love in this world.
Act justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God!

2 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for sharing. I heard about 58 but wasn't sure what it was all about.

    I will pass it on.... I am excited!

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to learn more about this. I have ordered the book (hope it arrives this week) and hope to see the movie soon!

    ReplyDelete