Monday, April 19, 2010

Team Haiti

Today, I am blogging to share an awesome mission opportunity in which you can be involved.  As we all know, on January 12 of this year, a devastating earthquake hit Haiti.  This event affected Haiti in ways that words can't even express... the situation in this island nation went from being bad to worse.

Haiti has been in my heart since this earthquake struck and I have already blogged about this situation a couple times over the last few months... those posts can be found here and here.  Well, I am excited to tell you about yet another way in which to help Haiti.

The network of churches in which our church is a part of is sending a team, TEAM HAITI, to Haiti towards the end of May (next month!).  You can read updates on a blog written by a Team Haiti member who is already on the ground in Haiti.  Team Haiti's main project will be to build a cistern in the community of Baie d'Orange, a very poor area near Jacmel.

This mission trip is especially near and dear to my heart because a couple from our congregation, my dear friend K and her husband S, will be going with Team Haiti.  I am expectant of the great things that God has in store for them to experience in and through this trip!

This is where YOU and I enter the picture... there are two ways in which we can be a real part of this endeavour:

PRAY: please join me as I launch into a month of prayer for Team Haiti!  For the whole month of May... some time each day will be spent in prayer specifically for this project.  My prayer is that God will use this team for His purpose and for His glory.

GIVE: please consider giving towards Team Haiti.  K and S are personally covering the cost of their flight, food and lodging therefore 100% of your donation will go directly towards relief efforts and towards the needs in the community of Baie d'Orange.  

How to give:
~ Cheques can be made out to The Sanctuary Pickering (indicate Team Haiti on the memo line) and a charitable receipt will be issued for tax purposes.  The church's mailing address is P.O. Box 147, Pickering, Ontario L1V 2R2.
~ You can also give online through The Sanctuary Pickering's website.  Charitable receipts for tax purposes will also be issued for online donations.  Click on the "DONATE" button and you will be redirected to PayPal's secure online donation processing site.  Please make sure to click "Message to The Sanctuary Pickering" before you finalize your donation and indicate "Team Haiti" in the message box that comes up so that your donation can be designated accordingly.

Well, blog readers --- the challenge in on!  Please prayerfully consider giving generously towards this very worthwhile cause.  I know that God's heart will smile when you do!  Thank you.

Matthew 25:34-40 (NLT)
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

No comments:

Post a Comment