Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spiritual Growth...

This blog post was in my Google Reader this morning. I'm sharing it here on my blog because it is literally like "words out of my own mouth"... a blog post that I would have written myself. It basically elaborates this point: that we ourselves are responsible for our spiritual growth; not other people, not our church.

This question remains in my mind: Why is it that a lot of Christians think that it is the church's responsibility to grow them (and their children) spiritually?

In real life, we would find it strange if a toddler never learns to self-feed, right? It would even be more strange if a child is still being fed like a baby --- milk in a bottle and parents feeding them their meal.

Why, then, is it acceptable for people to depend on their church to feed them spiritually --- through the Pastor's sermons, children's programmes, Bible studies? People go to church for a "feeding" once or twice a week and expect to live off that food the rest of the time. And when they start to feel malnourished, they blame the church for not providing enough "nourishment" and off they go... to find greener pasture at another church!

I personally think that the church exists to help us grow (as opposed to make us grow)... by providing "food" to supplement our own diets and by providing opportunities for us to serve others and to give ourselves away.

OK... I think it's time for me to get off my soapbox. Here's just a little bit more...

Imagine this... if each Christian takes on the responsibility of feeding themselves (and their children) spiritually, then the "food" that comes from the Pastor's sermons, the children's programmes and the Bible studies become like "dessert" --- something to enjoy (as opposed to something to survive with), a treat! I personally think that this is a much healthier way to grow --- a more balanced diet!!! Add to it my analogy that doing outreach is our spiritual exercise or workout, then the result should be a Christ-follower who is vibrant, growing and reproducing!

Too good to be true? I think not! It is hard work, no doubt. But as it says in Proverbs 14:23 (The Message): "Hard work always pays off; mere talk puts no bread on the table."

Definitely food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment