Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lest We Forget

Today is Remembrance Day. It is a day that I have learned to embrace, value and treasure as a Canadian because having grown up in the Philippines, we were not taught to mark Remembrance Day (or anything similar to it for that matter).

Today would be my 20th Remembrance Day. Over these 20 years, I have learned to understand the deep meaning of this day and my heart mourns deeper and is ever more thankful with each passing year.

So, how will I remember this year? For starters, our church attended the service and parade organized by the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion this past Sunday at the local cenotaph. Afterwards, we offered to help serve lunch at the Legion Hall. It was an awesome Sunday --- I know that God was smiling as we set aside what mattered to us as a church family on a Sunday morning in order to participate in what matters in our community!

Today, hubby and I will attend the Remembrance Day Assembly at our kids' school. Both kids are in the choir --- my daughter is the choir pianist (side note: I am one proud mama!) and my son sings in the choir. They will be doing two songs today --- A Pittance Of Time and Imagine. It will be an awesome day of remembering.

A poem was read out at the service this past Sunday. To me, it sums up what Remembrance Day is all about. Here it is:

It is the VETERAN...

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN who salutes the Flag,
It is the VETERAN who serves under the Flag,
Eternal rest grant them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

"This year, make remembrance more than something you feel. Make it something you do." ---Veterans Affairs Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment