Friday, March 13, 2009

I Saw A Quote

While driving home today, I saw a church lawn sign with the following quote on it: "One generation plants the tree, another generation gets the shade."

So true, isn't it? Especially if you put it in the context of church planting. Hubby and I have just recently been conversing about the growing pains that come with church planting work. It is definitely not easy; some days it truly seems like the sapling is growing ever so slowly... when will we see the shade? When??? The quote above answers the question... another generation gets the shade!

Last night, I previewed the movie The Prince of Egypt because I am showing it to the children this coming Sunday at church. What a great lesson in faith! Moses, who grew up as the Prince of Egypt, left all the comforts of the palace in order to lead God's people out of slavery and into the Promised Land. That act of obedience took a lot of courage, change, faith! It wasn't an easy task at all... at the end of it all, Moses wasn't even able to enter the Promised Land himself!

Watching the movie made me think... am I willing to obey God, just like Moses did, even though I myself might not see the shade from this tree that we are planting? Now, that is definitely some food for thought!

"By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw Him who is invisible."
--- Hebrews 11:24-27 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment