Thursday, November 6, 2008

One Missed Call

I keep my cell phone in the side pocket of my purse. Often when I am driving or when I am in a store, I miss my calls because I can't hear the ring. All the sounds and noise around me are competing for my attention! I often come home and find 'one missed call' on the cell phone display screen. Sometimes, it is as many as 'three missed calls'!

The other day while I was staring at one of these messages and wondering who was trying to call me, my thoughts drifted towards... have I ever missed God's call? I mean He has a call and a purpose for each one of us... have I ever missed my call and my purpose?

Especially in this world we live in where everything is urgent and clamours for our attention, where everywhere it is noisy, where everytime it is NOW. I wondered if I have ever gotten so caught up with life that I missed God's call... His still, small voice.

My prayer is that I do not clutter my life to the point where I would miss His call... in the small things and in the BIG things. When He calls me to do the mundane like make dinner or do laundry for my family... or when He calls me to do the urgent like visit a friend who is mourning... or when He calls me to be part of something BIG, like starting a church... or when He calls me to just be still and know that He is God. May I never miss His call!

"...asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of His call. May He give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do. Then the name of our Lord Jesus will be honored because of the way you live, and you will be honored along with Him. This is all made possible because of the grace of our God and Lord, Jesus Christ."
---II Thessalonians 1:11-12 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment