Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Victorious Living

We did it! My Bible study group completed Beth Moore's Living Beyond Yourself this past Monday evening. I am soooo proud of this group of women, many of whom are still babes in Christ! They have persevered through this study. For most of them, this was their first experience with a Beth Moore in-depth Bible study --- which translates to lots and lots of homework!!! Way to go, girls! To God be the glory!

Well, the homework for Day 5 was profound for me. I brought along my homework book and my Bible on our trip to Buffalo, NY last week as I still had to complete my homework for Week 10 and Monday evening was fast approaching. As I sat in the privacy of our hotel room balcony watching hubby and the kids swim in the pool below while I did my homework, I turned to Day 5 and quickly realized that the whole day's homework was dedicated to studying Psalm 63.

About three weeks or so ago, God drew my attention towards Psalm 63 as I was reading through the Psalms that day. When I saw that the homework for Day 5 was also on Psalm 63, I knew then that God wanted to show/teach me something. My antennas were now "on alert" for sure!

Before I blog about what God wanted me to learn, I must say that I am continually amazed at God's faithfulness and His grace. Over the course of this year, I have seen Him repeat the same verses that He wants to bring to my attention not just once, but multiple times in different venues/situations. I wonder if He is making sure that the skeptic side of me will erase all doubt that it is indeed Him speaking to me. Hmmmm....now that's some food for thought!

Here are the points that touched me from Psalm 63:

~ Every morning, I need to acknowledge His authority! Awaken every morning to the challenge, "Choose...this day whom you will serve!" (Joshua 24:15).

~ Throughout each day, I have to abound in His presence. "My soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you" (verse 1). Ask Him to give me a spirit that desires to be full of Him, not of myself. Beth writes: "As long as you are completely cleansed and yielded, you will possess a power that is completely beyond you...to love, to experience joy, to know peace, to express patience, to possess kindness and respond in goodness, to be faithful, gentle, and submissive to His will, restrained and under control."

~ I have to ask to see His glory and power! Power appears in the works of God. Glory describes the ways of God. "I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory." (verse 2).

~ I have to award Him with my mouth. Pray for a mouth that glorifies Him all day long, and you will be filled with a sense of His love and approval.

~ I have to approach Him with praise; attribute all satisfaction to Him! "I will praise You as long as I live." (verse 4).

~ At the end of each day, audit the manifold blessings! "On my bed I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night. Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings." (verses 6, 7). This is one of the reasons why I have this blog. Beth writes: "A record of your history with God is an immeasurable asset to your Christian experience. How do you know He will care for you today? Because He cared for you yesterday! He never changes!"

~ I have to allow myself to rest in His arms! "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me." (verse 8).

Love never fails. Joy cometh. Peace rules. Patience waits. Kindness tenders. Goodness does. Faith fights. Gentleness bows. Self-control stops. "Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:23 (NIV). As Beth concluded the study: "Living Beyond Yourself! It's the only way to live. He's the only way to do it."

In closing, I'd like to post a poem Beth wrote at the very end of the study --- it made me ask of myself: Am I known by the Company I keep?

The Company I Keep, by Beth Moore

Let me be known by the Company I keep
By the One who determines each day that I greet
From the moment I wake til He rocks me to sleep
Let me be known by the Company I keep!

Let me be known by the Company I keep
When the valleys are low and the mountains are steep
By the One who holds fast when swift waters are deep
Let me be known by the Company I keep!

Let me be known by the Company I keep
By the One who implores me to sit as His feet
And quickens my soul to discern what is deep
Let me be known by the Company I keep!

Let me be known by the Company I keep
Eclipsed by Your presence that I may decrease
Til all You have chosen this traveler to meet
No longer see me but the Company I keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment